What is the Japan-Canada Chambers Council?
Launched in 2014, the Japan-Canada Chambers Council (JCCC) is a platform to build relationships, share knowledge and advocate policies to support bilateral trade and investment. It does this through joint events, delegations, research, public statements and meetings with policymakers. Housed in the Canadian Chamber of Commerce and Japan Chamber of Commerce & Industry, the JCCC includes senior executives from leading member companies in both groups. Leadership is provided by two national chairs: Mr. Shoei Utsuda, Global Chairman of Mitsui & Co., Inc (Japan) and Steve Dechka, former CEO of Canpotex (Canada).
- Get up-to-date information on trade talks and other bilateral trends affecting your business
- Meet with key government decision-makers from Canada and Japan
- Build relationships with businesses in Japan
- Shape the Council’s advocacy priorities
- Raise your company’s profile in the bilateral corridor
Who should participate?
In Canada, participation is open and free of charge to corporate, SME, chamber and association members of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. This includes those exporting to or investing in Japan, as well as Japanese subsidiaries in Canada. Focus sectors include:
- Forestry and wood products
- Agriculture, seafood and food processing
- Energy and mineral products
- Environmental technologies
- Financial services
- IT and software
- Life sciences and pharmaceuticals
Join us for the Japan-Canada Chambers Council’s mission to Japan
5-7 April 2017 | Tokyo and Sendai, Japan
Canada and Japan have a friendly and mutually beneficial relationship. Japan is Canada’s fifth largest partner in two-way merchandise trade and 10th in services trade. Yet the potential is far from met. In recent years, bilateral trade has stagnated: exports from Canada to Japan have grown little more than 3% over the last decade while Canada’s imports from Japan have declined.
With prospects for the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement fading, Canada and Japan enjoy the advantage of a previously negotiated bilateral Economic Partnership Agreement and of being among each other’s closest trade partners and allies.
Our President and CEO, Perrin Beatty, will lead a mission of Canadian businesses to attend the third joint meeting of the JCCC from April 6-7, 2017 in Sendai, Japan.
The group will also participate in a program in Tokyo on April 5 to advance the dialogue in bilateral trade and investment. Only two months after the United States’ presidential inauguration, the meetings will be critical for Canada and Japan as both countries look to solidify economic linkages in the Pacific.
Proposed Agenda (Preliminary)
April 5: Tokyo program
April 6: Sendai Summit and site visit
April 7: Sendai, 3rd Joint meeting of the Japan-Canada Chambers Council
View the agenda at-a-glance.
Registration and Information
Click here to register. For more information, please Adriana Vega, Director, International Policy.
A cost-recovery registration fee will be charged to members and non-members to participate in the joint meeting of the JCCC in Sendai, Japan in April 2017.
Past JCCC activities
- Rekindling the Relationship: Japan-Canada Chambers Council, Vancouver, March 21, 2016
- Japan Business Seminar, Toronto, March 3, 2015
- “Building the Future through Partnership”, First Commemorative Symposium of the Japan-Canada Chambers Council, Tokyo, November 5, 2014
- Roundtable with Ian Burney, Assistant Deputy Minister, Trade Policy & Negotiations, DFATD & Chief Negotiator, Canada-Japan EPA, Vancouver, April 15, 2014
- Roundtable with Cam MacKay, Director General, Trade Negotiations, DFATD & Co-Chair, Canada-Japan EPA, Toronto, December 9, 2013
- 2013 Canada-Japan Trade Symposium, Toronto, April 25, 2013
Resources and media
- Small picture, big potential: Doing business with Japan, op-ed in iPolitics by Hon. Perrin Beatty, President & CEO, April 29, 2013
- Canada’s Rebalancing Act: Why Canada Should Turn up Trade with Japan, media series in partnership with the Canadian International Council and Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada, April 2013
- The Promise of an EPA with Japan, speech by Hon. Perrin Beatty, President & CEO, delivered at the Japan Society in Toronto, February 22, 2013
- Japan-Canada trade: time to stop dragging our heels, op-ed in iPolitics by Hon. Perrin Beatty, President & CEO, November 1, 2012
- Canada-Japan: Revitalizing the Economic Partnership, report by Canadian Chamber of Commerce, November 2011