Toronto, ON, October 21, 2016 –The Canadian Chamber of Commerce and Grant Thornton LLP proudly announce the 2016 Top 10 Finalists for the national Private Business Growth Award. This distinguished award pays tribute to the integral role that Canada’s private businesses play in growing our country’s economy.
Celebrating 10 Canadian Private Business Growth Success Stories –The following Top 10 private businesses were selected by an independent Jury of business leaders, for their successful, sustainable and holistic growth strategies (in alphabetical order):
- Agnora Inc., Collingwood, ON
- Aspin Kemp & Associates, Montague, PE
- BioScript Pharmacy, Moncton, NB
- Cows Inc., Charlottetown, PE
- Everest Clinical Research Corporation, Markham, ON
- Klick Inc., Toronto, ON
- Nicola Wealth Management, Vancouver, BC
- Reliance Foundry Co. Ltd, Surrey, BC
- Skyline Group of Companies, Guelph, ON
- StarTech.com, London, ON
Award Gala: These finalists will be celebrated, and the official first place winner will be announced, at a gala at The Design Exchange on November 16, 2016 in Toronto. The evening will be hosted by Canadian business journalist, Deirdre McMurdy.
“The goal of this annual award is to showcase business success stories — when Canadian businesses strive to be innovative and embrace strategic thinking, they create jobs and build prosperity for communities across the country,” said Kevin Ladner, CPA, CA, CBV, CEO and Executive Partner, Grant Thornton LLP. “I commend these finalists for their outstanding growth and success.”
“This year’s finalists are on unique and engaging growth pathways,” says Hon. Perrin Beatty, President and CEO of The Canadian Chamber of Commerce. “We need to celebrate their accomplishments – collectively they are helping to drive our Canadian economy forward, paving the path for a prosperous future.”
In selecting the Top 10 Finalists, jury members used the following five criteria to assess strategic growth across various aspects of the nominees’ businesses:
- Innovation: Developing new products and services, bringing old products to market in a new way, as well as improving the efficiency and effectiveness of internal processes.
- Market development: How they go to market and expand into new domestic or international markets.
- People and culture: Investing in their people by helping employees learn and develop as a critical part of overall growth.
- Strategic leadership: How they interact with partners, stakeholders, their succession planning and community involvement.
- Improvements in financial measures: Ensuring revenue growth and improvements in profitability.
This year’s accomplished jury includes:
- The Honourable Perrin Beatty, President and CEO, The Canadian Chamber of Commerce
- Phil Noble, Past CEO and Strategic Advisor to Firm Leadership, Grant Thornton LLP
- Christiane Bergevin, President, Bergevin Capital
- Peggy Cunningham, Professor and RA Jodrey Chair, Dalhousie University Business School
- Malcolm Hunter, President, Deeley Group of Companies
- Sean Stanleigh, Managing Editor, Globe Content Studio, the Globe and Mail
- Paul Straus, President, Home Hardware Stores Limited
Working together to recognize, validate & celebrate private business success stories, paving the path for future growth!
About the Private Business Growth Award
The Private Business Growth Award recognizes Canadian-owned, privately-held businesses that have been in business a minimum of three years, have $5 million or more in revenues and have demonstrated outstanding strategic growth. A partnership between The Canadian Chamber of Commerce and Grant Thornton LLP, 2016 marks the fourth year this national business award has recognized and celebrated the successful growth of private businesses in Canada. A jury of high-profile Canadian business leaders selects 10 finalists and one winning company based on the following criteria: innovation, market development, people and culture, strategic leadership, and improvements in financial measures.
For further information, to arrange an interview or photo, contact:
G. Will Dubreuil
Director, Public Affairs and Media Relations
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce
T + 613-797-1860
Manager, National Media Relations
Grant Thornton LLP
T +1-416-360-4970 | M +1-416-550-8466